Saturday, June 9, 2012

Into the Mind of a One Year Old

Early this week, I was watching Joseph while Jodie was getting dressed in the morning.  At one point, he got to Jodie's purse and found her wallet.  For a few months now, Jodie has kept a collection of cards in her wallet that are safe for Joseph to play with.  Per his usual routine, he quickly emptied these card onto the floor.  But then Joseph did something that he hadn't ever done before.  He grabbed a big zip-lock bag that was next to Jodie's purse and began filling the bag with the cards from Jodie's wallet.  I thought it was pretty fun watching him and grabbed a quick picture.  A few minutes later, I left to work and I was glad that I had captured the moment because I thought that would be the end of it.


 When I got home from work that night, guess who was still playing with his bag.  Joseph had spent the day carrying his bag around.  Jodie told me that he spent the entire day sporadically collecting items that he had played with and put them into his bag.  It didn't matter where he was or what he was doing, he either had the bag with him or knew exactly where it was; even after his nap.  Here's Joseph before going down- zip-lock bag still in hand.


The next morning, guess what he wanted to play with when he woke up- still the zip-lock bag.  This has continued now for a few days now- regardless of how opportune the moment might be.


 I'm not quite sure where he got the idea to use the zip-lock bag, but our best guess is from Jodie's purse itself.  Mommy carries around a bag with some of my favorite toys, so why shouldn't I?  Regardless of the reason, he seems to be very content with a few items of whatever he is playing with at the moment.  When he is done playing with it, he'll take it out of the bag and replace it with another item.  However, there are a few items that are never replaced.  They definitely shed some light into his thought process and what he values.


We have two cards from mommy's wallet, two plastic spoons, a toy car, a wooden dinosaur from his puzzle, an Easter egg, some pipe cleaners, and a few plastic cards.  A nice assortment of his favorite toys.

We'll see how long the zip-lock bag lasts.


Hope you all have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. That is SO cute !!! He got so big so fast:) he's for sure the cutest little boy I'v ever seen :)

    ReplyDelete